Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Work and stuff. Awesome!!

Like a lot of people, I don't really like to post about work. Today though a coworker sent me a link I thought was pretty interesting, and got me thinking about life and work in more broad terms than normal.

First the link.

There's lots of talk on the site about enjoying what you're doing, and having a purpose for doing it. I guess this is common sense when you think about it. No one likes busy work, or at least few people that I know. Thinking about this then reminded me of a line one of my instructors would tell me. At the beginning of any new project he'd ask if we were excited about it. If the answer wasn't an emphatic "yes", then he'd push us to get excited about it. He understood that the key to doing good work was to truly believe that the work you'd be doing on that project would be the best work you had ever done. I still tell myself that from time to time, especially on what are otherwise boring jobs. It's strange how such a simple change in perspective can dramatically change how one works, and at what degree of quality the final piece posesses.

Oh right, this is a bike blog. Tonight, I'm going to think about how great my ride is going to be, and it will likely be totally, and completely, awesome.

Awesome.

2 comments:

Nick Lee said...

In the words of Michael Bolton:

"That question is bullsh** to begin with. We'd never have janitors or anything like that because no one would clean up sh** if they had a million dollars."

I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea. Only some people get the luxury of enjoying their work.

Steve Stenzel said...

I hope your ride was completely awesome.