Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Embrace the Heat

Last night I had, I think, my fastest ride of the season. It's hard to say for sure, because my average at 19 miles was about .7 mph faster than my average 3 miles later after I had crossed through downtown St. Paul and climbed up out of the river bottoms. Either way, it seems that if it's relatively flat I'm able to consistently cruise (acording to my average, which takes into account stoplights) somewhere around 19.5. If you took out the stoplights it would be about a mile an hour faster. Not too bad since it's a solo ride.

It was muggy again for the ride, which I continue to think helps me. It's definitely not a very comfortable ride, but I can definitely breath more easily when it's humid out. Must be the tell-tale signs of my southern blood. I've yet to meet anyone else here that likes it when it gets so humid that you can smell the dirt and plants in it. It's such a stark contrast to the bitterly-hollow air that settles in during the winter.

The last few days I've been giving Nicklee a hard time about embracing the heat, since he doesn't have A/C at the new house. Fittingly, the A/C here in the office went kaput over the weekend, so I've had lots of time to enjoy that steamy, jungle air. When I left yesterday the indoor air temp was 83. I got in my car, and the temperature readout read, you guessed it, 83. Good times. Embrace the heat.

No comments: