Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Mind Over Matter & UPS Observations

I had some errands to take care of last night, so the ride was short and sweet. In an attempt to make it home in time to get to UPS to pick up a package I essentially did a mini time trial. The weather was perfect for it — almost no wind, 85° and sticky. I don't breath as well when it's dry for some reason, so when it's humid like this I can get a lot more out of myself.

The first half of the ride was good and pretty fast. Definitely faster than normal. The second half I had to work a little more, especially coming back in on Summit. That stretch is always the hardest, especially coming up to Snelling. It seems like it should be easy, the incline is probably 1/2 a percent grade at best, but it's a bit of a sleeper. If you come into it with speed it's easier, so I poured everything into the pedals, and kept telling myself that my motivation would crack before my legs did. Turns out it's true. The constant battle between mind and body is the thing I'm coming to like most about riding. Every time you're able to overcome the hills, the wind and the incessant screaming coming from your legs and lungs, you're able to do it more easily the next time.

On the ride I rode by Steve and Pharmie, and Teri drove by as well. Seems like everyone was out and about. Gotta love St. Paul.

After the ride, I ran back over to the UPS depot. Thankfully this time it didn't take an hour and a half to get our package (like our last visit), but I noticed some things on my second trip there:

1. There are a disproportionately large number of people wearing bluetooth headsets relative to the general population.

2. It seems it's common for packages to be lost or "on the truck" or "in sort" and experience waits ranging from 45 minutes to 2 hours.

3. The manager there has possibly the worst job around. He heard an earful last week from Kerry and I, and from his resigned expression, had heard at least as much last night as well. Ahhh yes, the joys of middle management.

One final link: Tabas.fr. Interesting, if not somewhat derivative illustration and art. I forgot what it was like to be really into this sort of thing like I used to until I check his site out. That is all for today.

2 comments:

Steve Stenzel said...

You rode by us?!? Did I not see you? Where was it at??

Gordon said...

It was along the river road. Pharmie was on the road, and you were on the bike path, just immediately north of the Ford Parkway bridge. It was one of those instances where by the time I realized it was you we had both passed each other. I'll yell next time for sure though.