Wednesday, July 18, 2007

1000


The first 1000 on the Orbea
Originally uploaded by gordonelliot



As you can see in the photo above, I hit my first 1000 miles on the new Orbea. She's ridden superbly over the last several months, and it's hard to imagine that a bike could really be any better than she is. Maybe a smidgen lighter, but that has more to do with my choice of wheels (older stock Shimano that are bullet-proof, but not the lightest things around) than anything else.

Last's night ride was gorgeous. The sunset alone made it worth going out, but the temperature had dropped down to around 75, and there wasn't much traffic since I left a little later than normal. The only downside to the evening was how insanely humid it was. I think the actual temperature was 73° and the dewpoint was at 72° when I left the house. Anything that got wet from sweat, water or ... I don't know what else it would get wet from ... remained wet for the duration of the ride. My griptape was literally saturation with sweat, and would make fun squishy noises anytime I tried to hold onto it.

The final observation I made on this ride was that there seem to be a fair number of motorists that really enjoy yelling at cyclists. I don't understand what motivates people to do this. I was crossing the street to turn onto the bike path to cross the Mendota bridge when a lone Chevy Impala drove by. I wasn't doing anything, just waiting on my side of the road to cross, when he screamed something. I couldn't make out what it was, but from the look on the fat bastard's face, I'm guessing it wasn't a summer-evening pleasantry. People are a strange bunch, for sure.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I saw David Hasselhof's twin walking up from a marina along the river. He had carefully feathered hair, an open nylon/rayon jacket, that, if memory serves, was white, and left open, presumably to show off the nearly-charred tan he had going. White pants rounded out the look. Solid.

No comments: