Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Food, Pacing

It seems like it should be obvious that good food is generally also good fuel, but I forget this often. I made a quick lunch this morning. Kerry had bought some grape tomatoes and I threw a handful into a bag and ran out of the apartment, believing that each second shaved off my routine would somehow save me the agony of sitting in traffic. Turns out there was no traffic, and the time spent putting together a fresh lunch was worth it. Fresh produce is great, and you can't help but feel a little better afterwards. No greasy feeling after you eat it. Europeans, especially in the mediteranean regions know what's up. Every day in Italy we were able to have great meals with just a few Euro spent at one of a handful of local delis. It's too bad we feel the need to go fast all the time and eat on the run — ironically giving up most forms of exercise, even simple ones like walking, and then feel compelled to go on weird, unhealthy diets.

It seems it's all about balance, which we as a country appear to be unable to attain. This reminds me of a thought I had yesterday. It's strange that we find doping in cycling, or any other sport, to be a surprise. In all aspects of our society we're being pushed to perform more effectively more of the time. Doping is the obvious continuation of these social trends into sport. Not that it's right, fair or good for anyone, but it seems to be more a symptom of our society at large than a isolated issue in cycling.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Totally agree. This reminds me of one of my favorite adages: "You work to live, not live to work." Seems like we forget the living part all too often.