Monday, April 9, 2007

Cold

Simple math would tell one that the difference between 42° and 32° is only 10°. Likewise, a simple understanding of elementary science would inform one that at 32° things such as water turn from beautiful, fluid, dynamic substances to beautiful, frozen, solid substances. If one were intelligent, one would realize that the difference of only 10° really isn't that much, and as a result, should wear appropriate clothing.

Unfortunately, yours truly isn't all that intelligent, and in what can only be described as an overzealousness to try out some new gear, went out in 40° temps with only leg warmers, arm warmers, and light-weight gloves. I realized after I couldn't feel my fingers, and my toes were starting to feel pretty tingly that this really wasn't a bright idea. To add insult to injury, I sported a solid stream of snot running down my upper lip for most of the ride. Whoever said there was any glory in cold weather riding was either 1) wrong, or 2) just not me.

They always say to pair up bad commentary with something good, so in the name of appeasing “them”, I can safely glow about my new bike. I bought an Orbea Orca frame from one of the Birchwood Bike Team members. I had my old Specialized Allez stripped down and all the parts rebuilt on the Orca. I loved my old Allez, but for the same reasons I loved it, I had to get something new. The whole saying “steel is real” is for a reason, and when you'd get up on the pedals you could feel the bottom bracket start to sway. It felt lively, so that was good, but it also felt a little like riding a noodle at times. The Orca couldn't be more different. The ride quality is amazing, and I don't think I lost any of the suppleness that came with my old steel frame. What it does have though is an amazing ability to straight up go! It takes little more than the width of an intersection to go from a dead stop to 25. When cruising along on the flats you can almost literally feel each pedal stroke push you forward, not unlike the feeling you get when you're canoeing and dip the paddle in for a good push.

In a nutshell, I love the new Orca, and can't wait to get some legs that do her justice. Hopefully that will come soon with some more riding. It's supposed to be in the 40s for several days this week. With a few more intelligent clothing decisions I'll hopefully be out several days this week. Finally.

Oh, and if you're Mickelson, and you're reading this, I think I passed you on the Ford Pkwy bridge. Holla. We should go riding sometime (or anyone else that reads this that rides, because riding alone is getting old).

2 comments:

Gordon said...

For sure. You'll know it's me from my neon, technicolor clown kit ;)

Unknown said...

just don't ride with all of your friends down hwy 13 to moose country 6 people wide. cause it freaks me out.