Friday, April 27, 2007

Pour one out

Last night I went out for my normal 20 mile loop. As I was heading down the river, I came up on a car that was parked in the bike lane, and appeared to just be waiting for someone. I got a little closer and realized that no one was in the car, but the door was open towards the curb. Then I realized that the owner and passenger of the car were outside of the car standing next to a rock, "dancing" to the rap that was blarring out of the car. There were flowers spread out over the rock, and it appeared they were "pouring one out for their homey". I don't know what happened here, or if there was even any accident. Maybe their friend just liked this place? Despite what should have been a somber moment, I couldn't help but laugh at the car that sounded like it would shake loose from the over-blown bass, and the two kids giving their last respects.

The rest of the ride was uneventful, but I kept thinking about some lines from one of Lance Armstrong's book... something about pushing through, and denying the pain that inevitably comes with riding. My next thought was how not like Lance I am. I have compiled a list:

1. Lance can win the tour, multiple times. I can't win anything, although I did win the "slowest rider" contest once at a church fair thing.

2. Lance has an extremely fine-tuned vascular system, and lower-than-normal lactic acid levels. My legs get "the burn" about 2 minutes out of the driveway and don't stop burning for several days.

3. Lance assumes an aerodynamic, wind-cheating position. My position would work most effectively if I were riding backwards, as my upright position is more akin to a space sail than a sliver-thin dagger.

4. Lance can climb mountains. I can sometimes climb the small hill on the river road by St. Thomas at a speed over 12 mph. Sometimes.

5. And finally, Lance fakes poor form to fool the peleton into making stupid mistakes. My poor form is 100% natural, and there aint no peleton to fool, I'd be that far off the back.

3 comments:

zara said...

You are hilarious.

Steve Stenzel said...

#4 is sweet. I know that suprising little hill.

Gordon said...

that little hill is a doozy. i don't know what it is, if it's because you hit it coming out of a turn, but it chews me up and spits me out every time. i need to hit ramsey hill more often so it seems smaller by comparison.